Thursday, July 6, 2017

6 July 2017 (Thursday)

On this day in 1936:
Got up at 6:30. Folks went berrying. Ruth & I played. Went swimming. Drank bottles of root beer."     " again[sic]. Best time I ever had. Came home at 9:00.
Don't know what the bit in the quotes is all about, but that's what's written.

Back when I was her age, we used to spend the summers doing things like that. Sometime when I was young the County Pool opened about 10 blocks from our house and we would spend many hours on many days down at the pool. We would go down there around 9 or whenever it opened, swim (meaning goof around) until noon, go home and eat lunch, and then go back in the afternoon. Sometimes in the afternoon we'd go over to the little Dairy Queen nearby -- it was a small one then and only had a couple of walk-up windows -- and we'd each get a Dilly Bar: chocolate for me, lime (green) for Jeff, and vanilla (yellow) for Barb. I don't know why, but we always had to get "our own" flavor. When we got older we'd mostly ride our bikes all over town. I was probably bored a lot of the time, but the memories are all warm and fuzzy.

Didn't sleep very well last night I'm afraid. Actually, once I got to sleep (again) I made it through until a little after 4 but that was it. Workout went okay. Actually quite well. Spousal Unit took me to the gym and I went downtown. Talked with Sharon and got some things straightened out that I will need to do about the Coptic data, said Hi to Rowena -- who had lost her iPhone yesterday -- and then piddled around until I went down to meet Janet for lunch. Jen at GH was leaving as well and we walked down the hill together and had a nice chat (at least from my perspective).

Janet is doing fine. I told her that, unselfishly, I'm glad she left Cascadia. She's doing very well in her new job and is much happier than she was. I do rather envy her and her little family, and told her as much, and I think she was touched by that.

Unfortunately, the lunch did not agree with me. I felt all shaky and like I was going to throw up. I wasn't worried since every now and then certain foods do that to me, although mostly Asian ones and this was tacos. Took the train home and then the bus. Didn't do much at home because I still didn't feel well. Stood in the basement for about 20 minutes trying to figure out where the flies are coming from. Jen said that they had had something similar and that she eventually found a dead rat somewhere, even though they couldn't smell it. I looked around but could not find where they were coming in from. Maybe there's something dead behind the wall by one of the basement windows because that's where most of them congregate. Probably 20 on the fly roll and a couple more in the pitcher plant.

Anyway, walked. 84 today, a little cooler tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment