Saturday, May 13, 2017

13 (and 12) May, 2017 (Saturday and Friday)

On this day these days in 1936:
Practiced. Still lane. Read. Saw Bob. One month till schools[sic] out (June 12). Finished off day by going to bed.
One Man's Family. (pretty good). Practiced. Read. Didn't see Bob today. Went to bed early. 
I'm guessing 'Bob' is her little boyfriend.

So, the last two days. Wow, yesterday was something else. I, of course, went and woke up at 3, grrrrr. So that didn't start well. I heated up my chocolate milk and then met Meg at Cascadia and we drove up to Anacortes in her car. At the ferry terminal I went in to get some shots (espresso) for my mocha and decided to ask for three since I'd been awake since three. Well, turned out they can only make them in 2's, so she had an extra shot that was going to go to waste so I said she could dump that one in, too. OMG FOUR SHOTS. I nursed that sucker. Not sure if it was more of a wallop or not.

Anyway, made it to Orcas and started the survey. They had the whole family there, mom and dad (well off, bought the property on Judd Cove for) the son and daughter in law, and the three kids. The two girls were a hoot (5 and 7ish). They were just so cute and full of energy. They mostly hung out with Meg. I ended up doing most of the digging, but HEY, I WAS ON FOUR SHOTS so I didn't mind. They even offered to get us sandwiches for lunch (I declined; I don't eat much in the field). We probably could have made the 12:30 ferry but Meg decided to just stay longer and do as much as we could. So we finished around 2 or so. Went back to the ferry terminal and hung out in the Orcas Hotel.

Oh, the property was really nice:


A little o'l snake sunning itself on the shoreline (I also saw a small lizard):

A 'fairy ring' which, according to Wikipedia, is "is a naturally occurring ring or arc of mushrooms. The rings may grow to over 10 metres (33 ft) in diameter, and they become stable over time as the fungus grows and seeks food underground." Also part of a lyric to a Blue Oyster Cult song.

There were actually several of those around the yard.
And a few really ugly yard art pieces:

They had real tails and I believe the eyes glowed at night, meant to keep geese away. They apparently don't.

Way back was uneventful. Annoys talking to Meg although she's a dyed-in-the-wool liberal and brought up Trump like half a dozen times. I'm old school in not talking about politics with coworkers so I just ignored it.

Got home at 8. Was still feeling kind of amped up at bedtime so I took a preemptive 1/4 ambien. Slept mostly through the night although my back hurt and so did my piriformis on one side.

Today, went out for breakfast (good) and then did a few piddly things around the house and watched a couple episodes of Monk. Went to an estate sale (bought nothing), lunch at Ivar's on Aurora, pet store for cat food and litter, QFC, home. I cleaned the interior of the Honder but it's the trunk that still smells so I'll need to have that cleaned. Walked. Race on tonight. Yippee.







No comments:

Post a Comment