Wednesday, March 22, 2017

22 March 2017 (Wednesday)

On this day in 1936:
Went to Sunday School. Went to Ruth's. Went through museum in U of W. Played paper dolls. Stayed home from Church to do school work. 
I'd forgotten to give some information about the diarist when this first started, so here it is: I haven't found a whole lot but I did manage to find her obit.
Her name was Jean M. Clausen and was born 9/7/1923 (probably) which would mean in 1936 she was 13. So we are reading the diary of a 13-year old girl in 1936. Her full obituary can be found here.
She eventually married Albert Leslie Albright. She may have lived in her childhood home all of her life because I got the diary at an estate sale at the address provided in the book, 600 N. 44th St. in Seattle. Here is the obit:
Sep. 7, 1923 ~ Apr. 1, 2015
Jean Albright passed away at the age of 91 at her home in Seattle. She was a graduate of Lincoln High School in 1941. Jean retired from Seattle Public Schools where she worked as a secretary and a payroll clerk for 27 years. She also worked for many years at Cathy's Place Child Care. Jean is survived by her daughter Cathy Stygar, son Ric, 4 grandchildren, 7 great-grandchildren, and 1 great-great-grandchild. There will be a memorial service for Jean at 1:30 Saturday April 25 at Olympic View Church on NE 95th. Her final resting place will be at Evergreen Washelli on Aurora Ave.
I had written down her DoB as 1921, although I'm not sure where I got that from, probably reading the diary somewhere. A census record from 1940 lists her as being 16 then so 1923 is probably correct.

I should go up and find her grave. She already has a Find-A-Grave page though.

Anyway, I am trying to use the ambien sparingly and did not use it at all last night. Went okay, but then, I didn't have a period of extreme wakefulness, i.e., an anxiety attack (or whatever) or just a mind-going-1000-miles-an-hour period. Ended up sleeping pretty well, all things considered. Made breakfast here and then tried to do some sort of work until 8:15 or so when we Skyped with mom (sister is in FdL). Mom wasn't very talkative. Think she was tired. And then my sister actually. . . .wait, no, I am not going to say it.

Right after that the gutter people came and they were finished in an hour. Hasn't rained yet, but I am hoping the new downspouts work better than the old ones. I started on the remaining fence posts and right off the bat discovered that the one by the rock wall is hopelessly encased in large roots. Rather than try wrestling it out, I decided I will probably just leave that space open as the stream runs right underneath it; that's also why I can't move the post. I figure that if we daylight the stream we'll need that area open anyway. The other one came out rather easily, but had about 6" of water in the hole. Don't know if I can dump the concrete mix in there or not, although the other one had water in the bottom and it worked fine. I put some logs over the open hole so no critters would fall in and drown or anything.

That lasted until about 10 and then I went to the shop to talk with The Boss about a proposal with State Parks. He ordinarily doesn't need to see proposals but he does with Parks and other State agencies. I left there, made a quick stop home and then went to McD's for a quickie lunch and then parked at UVil and walked over to the IMA. Not too crowded and I had a decent workout. The Fitness Model was there, I made an attempt to just say Hi but she ignored me (i.e., looked at her phone or something when I went by). I don't know if she's just a nasty person or not. . . .we briefly chatted once and she seemed amiable enough, but she may get hit on a lot.

Went to SBux after that cuz I was thirsty. Came home and played the geetar quite a bit, haven't done that in a few days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment