Tuesday, July 19, 2016

19 July 2016 (Tuesday)

On this day in 1954 (Monday):
Slept in until about [10:00] this morning[see bing] at Ray's. After we [atc] Rays and I went down town. I bought some Tix [oxide] for my rock [part fit] $6.00. Just sat around and helped Ray [sun] the rest of the day. Watched some good Television program this evening. Sure was cold over here again today. Got to bed about 1:00. Thought a lot about L. today. Spent $6.00. 
A little catching up from last night. After writing the entry for yesterday I took the folder of my stuff that I brought back from mom's. Wow. She kept a lot of stuff. Most of my old report cards and teacher's reports. As I clearly remember, I was an awful student. Lots of C's and D's and a few F's. Many of the comments were also what I remembered: I would not settle down, was easily distracted, didn't concentrate on the task at hand, etc. They also said I could do really well if I wanted to, was smart, but just didn't apply myself.

I will say one teacher's comments struck me like a slap in the face: My old 6th grade teacher Mrs. [Barbara] Strand: “Tony is not being fair to himself”. She had me pegged. She probably had the most perceptive comments overall as well. Thanks, Mrs. Strand. I doubt you're still alive, but you have affected me lo these many years later. Sent me into yet another melancholy mood. I'm not sure what to think about all of that. In a way, I remembered it all and wasn't surprised by any of the comments. However, looking back at it. . . .who would have thought that such a dorkwad kid who couldn't concentrate in school would end up with a PhD? I really kind of wonder if I even got the dumb thing just to make up for all of that. Kind of humbling in a way. If I'd been that same kind now there is no doubt in my mind that I would be on ritalin or something and been diagnosed with ADD.

I slept okay last night. Actually quite well. Workout was so-so; leg day and I'm still not sure what I should be doing. My knee did okay though. Went to work downtown and SPSS is being psychotic again. Now it is storing some dates as Oct 4 1852 -- the start date it used to calculate dates -- but it doesn't display that; it displays nothing. But if I test for the date being Missing, it fails because there's something in it. But I can't figure out what sort of code to use to identify when it was whatever value in it. I think I'll end up exporting it, changing all of those things manually, and then importing it back in.

Otherwise, mostly an uneventful day. Still in a melancholy way, which I for one would like to stay that way. It's very calming and I can, you know, concentrate on the task at hand. Perhaps once the reminders from Wisconsin come today and tomorrow I can manage to hold onto this a little longer.

One thing: I found the old receipt for my trumpet. I think it was in May of 1979 for $442. I didn't think it was that much. But I'm pretty sure I kicked in some for it. I thought I had it for more than a year though. I graduated in 1980 so I was only playing it for that senior year. I came home and played for a while this afternoon. Really, I didn't lose much from the last time I picked it up. I do enjoy playing it. It's so nice to know what I'm doing! Maybe I should keep it up since it cost so much. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment