Friday, July 1, 2016

1 July 2016 (Friday)

On this day in 1954 (Thursday):
Got up early as usual and went to work. Was a cold day today. It rained about 3:00 in the afternoon and I [bend] to [ofciot]. Came home and closed up and went down town and got my eyes tested for some new glasses. Played for the U.S.O. dance tonight. Saw Louise for a little while tonight. Got some eats on the way home. $.50. Spent $.50. 
I looked up the records for that day and it was 61 as a high.

Right now I am feeling very nostalgic and kind of happy. Started late this afternoon for whatever reason. I'm feeling nostalgic for my old grad school days in the late 1980s, I think. I went to the field today and it was a pretty good day, not too warm (although I could have used a few more degrees) and pleasant and the digging was easy and we were done by 11. Only 8 probes. Here I'd been told it was a big 2-day project. All went well. I left the house around 6 and went to McD's for breakfast and it was meh. The sandwich was kinda dry and the iced teat was also kinda meh. Was looking forward to that, too. Oh well. Ride up went fine (Mike went up with me) and the park was quite pleasant. It was at Fort Ebey at the old gun battery 248. We were back at the shop by 12:45. I came home, unpacked stuff, and then drove down to UVil to get some dinner stuff. Sat in the SBux for a bit. Came home and futzed around a bit and then made dinner. Walked. Saw Norma the neighbor and she was doing very well, walking without the walker and had lots of energy. I was glad, she was not looking too great last week (or two weeks ago or whatever).

Part of what set off the nostalgia was listening to an old CD of solo piano by Michael Jones. When I was in my second or third year of grad school I got a lot of that stuff and would sit at home after 9:30 when I got home from the UW and drink whiskey and water and listen to it. Very melancholy. I don't feel bad about those times, necessarily, although in retrospect I was probably in sad shape. But I was young and wallowing in it helped me get through graduate school. I was young and had all the time in the world. I think 24 year old me would approve of 54-year old me, mostly. I'm still in great shape physically -- better than 24-year old me for the most part -- and although my career isn't where I thought it would be, it's not bad. Well, except pay-wise. But I have fun. I did think I would either be single or married to a very girly girl who wore heels and skirts and stuff. That didn't work out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment