Tuesday, June 28, 2016

28 June 2016 (Tuesday)

On this day in 1954 (Monday):
Got up early this morning and went back to work. Didn't have such a hard day today. Went[sic] I got home I went [seening] for a while. $.40. Saw Louise for a little while tonight. She [such] pissed me off tonight. Also went to a summer band practice tonight. Didn't get to bed tonight until about 11:00. Spent $.40. 
What did that young lady do?

Okay day today. Slept fairly well but needed assistance at first and then again at 3:15. Seem to still be waking up and not exactly having an anxiety attack (or whatever) but mostly just my mind starts going about a hundred miles an hour. Anyway, I had a semi-decent workout. My left knee really hurt. May have slept on it wrong. But my back was being grumpy as well. I was going to not do much leg stuff Thursday anyway, but it looks like I have to go out in the field Friday anyway so Thursday will be mostly upper body day (last before leaving).

Work went fine (downtown). I finished editing the alcohol paper and sent that off and then fiddled around with all of the merging code to mostly ignore the whole gigantic file at the end. Too unwieldy. I ate lunch -- leftovers from lunch Sunday -- out behind the hospital. Nicely sunny. The wrap I had was decidedly meh. It was vegetarian 'chicken' and was mostly bland. Needed bacon. Heh. Ride home was uneventful. Walked up to the bank on 85th to cash two reimbursement checks.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I finally (!) finished the Tolstoy biography I started reading last fall when I was at home in Wisconsin. I had forgotten my iPad and didn't bring any other books to read so I was kind of stuck with whatever my parents had sitting around. This was about the most dull-but-vaguely-interesting thing around that would be suitable for before-bed reading. You know, interesting enough but still sleep-inducing. Turned out to be fairly interesting. I'd not known much about Tolstoy before, but I'd spent several months reading War and Peace. W&P was okay, although not terribly memorable for me. Besides, there was something written in it from Hank (my uncle) to my mom, apparently from the late 1960s. I'm not sure if Tolstoy is that big of a deal these days or not although I recall W&P and Anna Karenina being kind of a Big Literature thing from when I was a kid (leastways, Peanuts had storylines on both of those). Apparently, he was a major global figure while he was alive, and seems to have been more influential up through the 1960s? Whatever. He was bizarre and I don't know why people like to follow people like that like zen masters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment