Saturday, January 16, 2016

16 January 2016 (Saturday)

On this day in 1954 (Saturday):
Got up early this morning and started in shoveling snow. We had a good 8 inches this morning. Shoveled [hoe] at [unk] and down at the church until about 10:45. Took Laurie/Louise to work. Study a lot of the afternoon on my speech. Picked Laurie/Louise up from work after supper this evening. Took her home and I came home and changed clothes and play for the [Fury] Club Dance at the Y.M.C.A. Got home about 12:30. Still [ironing utils]. Candy and pop $.10. Spent $.10. 
I do think it is 'Laurie' but it may be Louise.

Had something of a decent day. When I went downstairs at probably 12:45 I took my iPad down and it dinged that I had a message then. Turned out to be Sonja. Yeesh, she is a dedicated one. Well, I use it as a reminder to myself to take things easy with people. Anyway, I ended up sleeping fairly well down there, waking up when the heater kicked on at 4:30 and I think I dozed off for maybe another 20 minutes.

We ate breakfast out at Burgermaster. I came home and didn't do much. I did watch a goofy movie from 1965 called 'She'. It was a Hammer film, they did lots of cheap horror-type things. This one had Ursula Andress as a 2,000-year old Egyptian(?) queen and got some British chap to fall under her spell. I have to say, the ending surprised me, it wasn't a happy one. I would have expected it to be all wrapped up nice at the end. Also had Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee in it.

Anyhoo, watched that and then we went off to lunch at the BBQ place because there was an estate sale nearby. Sale was okay. There had been a lot of vintage audio stuff but it was mostly gone. Great house, right on the water next to the Burke-Gilman. Huge. Spousal Unit bought two glass bowls. We went to another one in Viewridge that wasn't too good. Got nothing there. Next, went to UVil and got dinner material and some yogurt. Meh.

When I got home I tested my beer again. Nice and clear but very, very light. I ordered a second fermenting barrel and I plan on decanting it into that one and letting it go for another month or so. I did some Interwebs research and found that the Chief Oshkosh recipe I used was a fairly standard American lager one: barley malt, corn, and some hops. I may try it once more after this and see about getting it a bit more robust (darker). But otherwise, I'm not sure. The one bitter recipe I have used is one that I really do like, so I may experiment with that one and try to get the alcohol down so I can drink it more often. But I do need to concentrate on learning how to use the hydrometer so I can accurately measure that.

Anyway, rained like the dickens for a while this afternoon but after dinner at 6 it was just lightly drizzling so we walked around here. Nice evening, probably 50 degrees, little windy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment